Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Quit Your Hypocritical Whining!



As the inauguration of the 45th President draws near I have decided to do a little self-examination of how I react to those politicians with whom I do not agree as well as those with whom I do.  To be completely honest, I did not decide to come to this self-examination purely based on my own desire for self-improvement.  No, the decision was made after deriding and ridiculing those from the other spectrum of political ideology from myself and realizing that their arguments and complaints were eerily like some that I have made in the past, albeit against a different President and politician.  My hypocrisy was glaringly obvious as I pointed out the hypocrisy of my political opponents.

Rational thought is completely thrown away when it comes to political and sports discussions.  Think about it, it doesn’t matter what your arguments may be for the Dallas Cowboys, you will NEVER convince a Philadelphia Eagles fan to cheer for the Cowboys.  Just as it seems that you will never convince a Democrat that a Republican is not a racist, homophobe.  The problem for this type of “fanboy” adoration is that we often fail to see the flaws in our own “team”.

When President George W. Bush added somewhere around $4-5 Trillion dollars, depending on how you do the math, to the national debt during his presidency.  During 2001-2009 the Democrats, both politicians and their “fans” screamed about the national debt, all while the Republicans and their followers redirected and justified his spending.  Since President Obama took office in 2009, nearly $10 Trillion dollars have been added to the debt while the Republicans and their sheep hypocritically rant about spending and debt while the Democrats and their lemmings rant and explain away the economics of debt and spending.  If driving up the national debt is bad under one President is bad, doesn’t it reason it is bad under another?

When it came to light that the US government was using warrant-less wiretaps to listen in on US citizens phone conversations, albeit for use against terrorism, the Republicans during the Bush tenure opined that it was for national security.  During the Obama reign the Democrats defended while the Republicans demanded action to stop it.  If the Constitution protects us from such searches, then does that not apply regardless of which party is in power?

Before I rant and rave about some perceived injustice or political decision, shouldn’t I stop and look at my own self or side as well?  For years, I have lambasted those that blindly vote only along party lines, but I have found that I have blindly defended some politician or policy based solely on some party loyalty.  I have decided that I am better than some stupid little fanboy who will accept what my side decides is correct and automatically attack the other side.  I am a white man, so white that I may or may not glow in the dark, but I am not the color of my skin.  Nor am I defined by whom I cast my ballot in an election.  Why do we believe others are defined in the same way that we claim that we do not wish to be defined?

Political discussions generally can be summed up in this analogy; “my dad can beat up your dad!”  the problem is neither dad wants to fight and could care less in which petty little fight you find yourself.  You may find this surprising but politicians, regardless of party affiliation, could not care what the peasants think or do.  They only care about where the next fundraiser is and how they will get their name in the next major news story.  Please understand this one point if nothing else.  Donald Trump, Barack Obama, the Congress, the Republican, Democrat, Green, Libertarian, or even the Communist parties are not your Messiah.  They will always disappoint and frustrate you.  They are not here to meet your every need and desire and they will never save our country or your soul.  For me it is time I remain honest to God and myself and continue to take care of and protect my family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment